25 Christmas Books For Kids
Last year, during advent I read about a brilliant idea for an alternative advent calendar from My Little Bookcase (apologies for the wrong attribution originally – but the post features several fabulous book ideas for advent and I forgot whose was the original post). Instead of a piece of chocolate the girls got to open one book every day. I let them read it at bedtime as well of their usual stories and it was a really special tradition which we will definitely be repeating this year. It helps to get into the Christmas spirit.
For us this was easy and inexpensive as we already had a large collection of Christmas books to use. I always put them away in the loft so that they are special when we get them out anyway. All I bought was two rolls of wrapping paper, one green and one gold. We wrapped up the books with about 7 in gold and the rest green and then sorted them into a Christmas tree shape. Then finished off with a star decoration from the Christmas tree on top. It looked really cute sitting on top of the piano, at least for a couple of days.
So here is our list of 25 books – one for each day in the run up to Christmas. Our books are mainly Christmas books rather than religious ones.
25 Children’s Books for Christmas
1. The Snowman by Raymand Briggs
2. Stick Man by Julia Donaldson
3. The Nativity Play by Nick Butterworth and Mick Inkpen
4. Lettice A Christmas Wish by Mandy Stanley
5. Mrs Pepperpot’s Christmas by Alf Proysen
6. How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr Seuss
7. Dream Snow by Eric Carle
8. Emily’s Ice Dancing Show by Rosalinda Kightley
9. The Jolly Christmas Postman by Janet and Allen Ahlberg
10. Dear Santa by Rod Cambell
11. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
12. Dear Santa by Amy Husband
13. Kipper’s Christmas Eve by Mick Inkpen
14. The Gruffalo’s Child by Julia Donaldson
15. Aliens Love Pantaclause by Clare Freedman and Ben Cort
16. Mog’s Christmas by Judith Kerr
17. Father Christmas by Raymand Briggs
18. How Santa Really Works by Alan Snow
19. One SNowy Night by Nick Butterworth
20. Dear Santa by Alan Durant
21. Christmas Cookies by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
22. Cops and Robbers by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
23. The First Christmas by Jan Pienkowski
24 ‘Twas The Night before Christmas by Clement Moore
25. The Twelve Days of Christmas by Jan Brett
So what Christmas books would you have on your list?
For another alternative advent calendar have a look at this decoration idea from last year.
Counting Down to Christmas Blog Hop
These are the other blogs who are co-hosting:
Link up your Christmas ideas here: