I have been tagged in a meme about the best things about having multiples, by the lovely Tales of a Twin mum (who lives near my childhood home and the shopping centre where I once dressed up as a seagull – ok that news is probably only interesting to me but I get excited every time I see her twitter biog). She summed it up pretty well, the double cuddles, the attention, their twin bond. All these things are wonderful, but I don’t want to just copy them so here are my list of the slightly more unexpected bonuses about having twins.
1. By far the best thing about having twins is winning every “who has it hardest” competition with singleton mums. When I was pregnant, I got nearly every symptom in the book. So any time someone complains I can say breezily, “oh yes, when I was pregnant with the twins, I had that.” It works for so many other things too: breastfeeding, sleepless nights, getting out the house.
2. I now really appreciate the little things: drinking a hot cup of tea, not spilling a hot cup of tea, having a shower to myself, having five minutes with no toddlers sitting on my lap. Without having twins I wouldn’t have realised these things were so precious.
3. Having a good excuse not to back to work.
4. Being able to let myself go. I feel I have a duty to spend as little time as possible on my appearance – if I look too well groomed people will think having twins is easy, and I don’t want that.
5. Having a good excuse why I’ve failed to do anything. If I’m running late, if I haven’t done the housework, if I’ve not returned a phonecall, if I’ve lost my credit card at the supermarket, I can just say, “oh dear, I have twins” and all is forgiven.
Oh and of course twice the mischief….
Tag you’re it: