A little while ago we were reading the charming picture book, The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone. This is a classic retelling of the story with lovely illustrations.
“We would always help you mummy,” the said. The girls loved the story and wanted to make some bread themselves. I found my favourite easy bread recipe for kids and we got started.
- 500g bread flour
- 1 packet of fast action yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1oz butter
- 300 ml of warm water
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast.
- Add the butter and rub with fingers until it from breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add in the warm water and roll into a ball.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes. With children take turns.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Separate into eight parts and roll into roll shapes.
- Put in a warm place for another hour.
- Heat the oven to 220C (425F)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.
For this recipe I doubled up all the ingredients so there was enough for the girls to make it themselves.
If I’m baking with all the girls then I make sure everything is ready beforehand. I have a bowl each so they all get a go.
I was a bit worried they would find the kneading a bit boring but they loved it. I guess it’s quite therapeutic.
The nursery teddies were visiting that week so they had a go helping too. They didn’t want to miss out on eating the rolls when they were finished after all.
I love the look of concentration on the girls’ faces!
Inspired by the GBBO the girls now have to kneel down by the oven and watch breathlessly while it cooks.
They were so pleased with the finished rolls. The bread was really soft and I was so pleased it was cooked right through.
Pin for later
This is my post for The Virtual Book Club
Toddler Approved– The Educators’ Spin On It– Rainy Day Mum– 3 Dinosaurs– Learn~Play~Imagine – Crafty Moms Share – Reading Confetti–Inspiration Laboratories – Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas – Kids Yoga Stories – Enchanted Homeschooling Mom– Ready-Set-Read – Boy Mama Teacher Mama – PlayDrMom –Fantastic Fun and Learning – Growing Book by Book– Royal Baloo – The Outlaw Mom® Blog – Kitchen Counter Chronicles – Teach Preschool – Mama Smiles – Coffe Cups and Crayons – Juggling With Kids – Here Come the Girls–
For more posts featuring Paul Galdone look here.