There is nothing better than a pie at this time of year with the weather turning colder and rain beating down in a constant stream. Warming and satisfying they will fill you up and feel a little bit indulgent. I like to make little pies, they are more tempting for the children and that little bit healthier as there is less to eat (although we will ignore the fact they have more pastry this way). They also look so cute! You can of course make one big pie using the same recipe.
This is a recipe for a pie from New Zealand. I think it’s often served with tomato ketchup on the top. I made it with marmite but you could use Vegemite – although I don’t think it’s as well loved as in Australia.
Mini Mince Meat Pie Recipe Recipe
- Prep time: 40 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 1 hour
- Serves: 3-4 adults
- A tasty and filling meat pie from New Zealand.
- Ingredients Needed For Mini Meat Pies
Ingredients You Will Need For The Mini Meat Pies
(Makes about 4 small pies)
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 onion
- diced carrots
- handful of mushrooms
- 1lb lamb or beef mince
- 100ml beef stock
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbs marmite/Vegemite
- handful of rosemary
- 7oz flour
- 4oz butter
- pinch of salt
How To Make Mini Meat Pies
- Gently fry the onion until golden. Add the carrots and mushrooms.
- Brown the mince.
- Stir in the stock, ketchup and marmite and leave to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While this is cooking make the pastry.
- Sift the four and salt into a bowl and add the cubed butter.
- Blend into fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix into a dough using about 7 tsp of water.
- Roll out and fill pie dishes.
- Brush the top with a little milk
- Bake for 20-30 mins 200C
The pastry is great for children to help with. It is fun to roll out and they can decorate their own pie. Mine love brushing the milk on top the best. I had to be careful to make sure they didn’t end up too soggy. I don’t want any soggy bottoms here!
We served the finished pie with mashed potato and peas. I was really pleased with how they turned out. They came out of the dishes very easily and stayed together. The only problem is I put way too much salt in. A pinch is definitely enough.